Speed-Reading and Study Skills Syllabus for 4th –7th grades.
- Intro to workshop – Why Read Faster? Can reading be more enjoyable?
- Types of reading
- Intro to Speed Reading
· Basic ideas and techniques
· Calculating your Words-per-minute speed
- How reading can be more fun.
- Reporting on your reading (to parents, teachers, and peers).
- Doubling Your Speed while keeping comprehension.
- Good Note Taking I
· Smart habits
· Tree diagram
· Lecture with note taking (optional)
- Keeping Your Improved Speed Reading
· Techniques for thin-column texts(slashing)
· good use of E-readers
· Practice (Your book))
- Exam Preparation
· Long Term Storage specifics; Layered Reinforcement
· Good note-taking in class;
· Digression: smart use of laptops
- Tripling Your Speed Reading (or at least trying)
· Advanced ideas and techniques
-Smart Studying, using YOUR texts for an upcoming test or quiz
· Taking good notes for paper prep/mind mapping
· Piecing those notes together/developing an outline
· Avoiding research paper grief; avoiding plagiarism
- Reading Reinforcement
· Comprehending MORE (while keeping your DOUBLE speed).
· Technique review and practice
· Applying good reading to hard texts and articles
- Smart Studying, using YOUR texts for your toughest classes
Holding your gains, while increasing your comprehension.
- Good Note Taking II
· Organization skills
· The Cornell Method
· How to use your new notes to study
· Organizing for NEXT WEEK
BEYOND IVY BOUND STUDY SKILLS:
Keeping your speed-reading gains
Greatness in school and beyond…