Study Skills Syllabus for 8th – 10th graders
- Intro to workshop – Why learn Study Skills / Why high school success is important.
- Memorization techniques.
· Relevancy and its effect on attention
· Storage (short term v. long term)
o Short term exercise—with and without “chunking”
o Long term idea basic discussion
· Retrieval (including one quiz)
- Good Note Taking I
· Smart habits
· Tree diagram
· Lecture with note taking
- Good Note Taking II
· Organization skills
· The Cornell Method
· How to use your new notes to study
· Organizing for NEXT WEEK
- Better Reading Skills
· Better Text reading
· Better Article reading
· Better fiction reading (for school or, yes, for pleasure).
- Exam Preparation
· Long Term Storage specifics; Layered Reinforcement
· Good note-taking in class à confidence on tests;
· Short Digression: smart use of laptops
- Working with YOUR tough subjects (1 – 3 student pods)
- Long Term Assignments
· Do’s and Don’ts
· Taking good notes for paper prep “mind mapping” (optional, funky)
· Piecing those notes together/developing an outline
· Avoiding research paper grief; avoiding plagiarism
· Basic ideas and techniques for improving your reading speed AND comprehension
· Practice (using The Hobbit or Don’t Know Much About Geography).
· Digression: good use of E-readers, good use of internet reading.
- Writing short papers.
· Getting that first paragraph on paper.
· Using your research effectively
· Adding your OPINION (where warranted)
- Forgetting and Remembering: The Specifics of Retrieval
· Why and what we forget
· Troubleshooting our memory
- Tactics – work on YOUR current “memorization needs”
- Reading Reinforcement
· Comprehending MORE (while keeping your speed).
· Technique review and practice
· Applying good reading to hard texts and difficult pieces (incl SAT)
- Smart Studying, using YOUR texts for your toughest current classes
- Reading reinforcement
· Dense Articles (including SAT passages, WITH questions)
· Tough texts
- Smart Studying, using YOUR texts for an upcoming test or quiz
Recap on what you’ve learned. Planning for the NEXT exams / papers.
BEYOND IVY BOUND STUDY SKILLS:
Keeping your speed-reading gains
Greatness in school and beyond…