David B. Lewis
I am a CT-certified math teacher. Over the past few years, I have taught or tutored all math subjects from sixth-grade math to Algebra 2 and standardized tests including the SAT, ACT, GMAT, and SSAT.
I enjoy working with students in small classes or one-on-one. Students learn best with the kind of attention and feedback an instructor can offer in small settings.
My approach to standardized tests matches Ivy Bound’s (which is why I am happy to be working with them) -- these exams test both content knowledge and also the additional skill of taking a test, so I both fill in the skills and topics that students are missing or shaky on and also show students various techniques for cracking problems.
The best approach to tutoring is for students to pre-learn the material, in advance of when it is covered in class. That way, kids are not lost in class when they see that material; they are able to follow what is going on and participate in the lesson; they are able to get out of the class what the teacher hopes and expects that the students will. It's much better to know what is going on than to be lost for the hour, struggle with the homework, and rely on a tutor to help make sense of it all afterwards!
I’m in Hamden and can meet students here and in surrounding areas. I’m also available via Skype and telephone.
Union College, Class of 1987
- Master’s of Science in Computer Science, 1987. GPA: 4.0
- Bachelor’s of Science in Computer Science, 1987. GPA: 3.86 (summa cum laude).
- Departmental Honors, Dean’s List.
- Elected to Phi Beta Kappa and Sigma Xi.
Alternate Route to Teacher Certification, State of Connecticut, 2007
ACTIVITIES / HOBBIES
- I’m a nationally-ranked Scrabble expert. I’m also getting back into competitive chess. Both reflect my general interest in puzzles and in figuring out the right answer!